The letter for today is C which is for Church…
28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.
This is a tough topic because in America church has become in many instances something that is more political. More about institutions and events and less about community. Therefore, this is a great way to talk to our kids about what a church should look like and what it looked like in the Bible.
The craft for this topic is one that I think is really fun…Making bird feeders and then decorating them to look like they are churches. Here are some of the instructions that I found on Ziggity Zoom
- Milk carton, any size.
- Dowel or pencil for perch
- Acrylic paint / brush
- String or wire for hanging
- Wash and dry selected milk carton.
- Staple top shut.
- If making a “house” cut the hole only 1 – 11/2 ” wide on one side only. If making a feeder, make a hole that is about 21/2 ” wide or cut a square hole (make hole on both sides).
- Make a tiny hole, on both sides, to slide perch into.
- Paint birdhouse / feeder and then decorate with paint or sticky back foam. Decorate it like it is a church complete with a steeple. (* for good paint adhesion, if you are concerned about a lasting project, paint carton with gesso first, so paint will adhere to carton well.)
- Attach a wire or string to hang birdhouse/ feeder.
One thing to remember with this project, you need to tell your kids that a church is not about the building but about a group of people coming together to worship God. The bird feeder is just a way to get the conversation going.
If you like what you read, check out our children’s book, Hooked on the Book, on this website. It is great for parents and kids because it provides the Big Story of God’s miraculous plan for His children in all 66 books in the Bible including colorful illustrations, rhymes and a surprise on every page.Related Posts