We are coming to the end of our blogs on money for kids. We have reached the age 18 when you are sending you kids off into the world and they need to get their last few lessons in money as they go. This lesson is about loans and how the Bible says that we are called to not get into debt.
Proverbs 22:26-27 Be not one of those who give pledges, who put up security for debts.
This lesson is about how they need to not spend money on their credit cards if they can’t pay if off each month. Some ideas to hit on are:
1) Talk to them about how if they can’t make a payment it will effect their credit history.
2) If they pay bills late it can effect their credit history and stop them from getting a job.
3) Get free credit reports once a year at
4) Help them to look for credit cards with a low interest rate and no annual fees.
5) To learn more about the credit card rules,
go to federalreserve.gov.
6) Remember that there may be an emergency expense sometime so they shouldn’t charge everyday items to their cards.
If you like what you read, check out our children’s book, Hooked on the Book, on this website. It is great for parents and kids because it provides the Big Story of God’s miraculous plan for His children in all 66 books in the Bible including colorful illustrations, rhymes and a surprise on every page.